Jun 15, 2010

The Eug

I took a road trip to Eugene, Oregon to play a round of disc golf... oh, and while I was in town I caught my little sister Edith's college graduation.  Since I had a few hours to kill before graduation, I got up early and headed to Westmoreland Park.  Surprisingly, there were no other players on the course at 7:30 am!  It was nice to have the place by myself and I got to enjoy a beautiful sunny Eugene morning playing my favorite sport. 

After my round I was practicing my putts when a man and his special needs son walked by.  The little boy was watching me closely, so I offered him a handful of discs and asked if he would like to try.  It was really wonderful to watch his eyes light up as he reached for my bright plastic putters.  I showed him how to throw my discs at the basket, and I gave him a big high-five when he sunk one of his puts.   This little moment reminded me of the power of sports and our responsability to share our love for the game with the youth in our community.


Westmoreland Park Disc Golf Course is made up of 9 holes that wind around the perrimeter of this cute community park.  It is located right next to a school and a community center, and I wonder if the children of Eugene play disc.  The park has a few small hills and trees, but it was not nearly as technical or challenging as I have been playing in San Francisco, Napa, and Vacaville.  It was actually a nice change of pace, and with out any big elevation changes or obstacles in my way I was able to work on the basics.  I had so much fun playing this 9 holes, I almost played it twice... but I had a graduation to get to.  It was pretty muddy out there because they were working on their irrigation system and parts of the course were a bit flooded... so I rinsed off my feet and made my way over to the University of Oregon to celebrate!

For more info on the Westmoreland Course check out the "courses" page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment